Pages

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Laying Concrete Block

So, I’m embarking on laying concrete blocks tomorrow. I’m laying 3 courses of 8x8x16 concrete blocks for my crawl space foundation. This should be a simple owner builder project since it’s done little by little, you can really get precise with your mortar joint. I’m sure a contractor in the business of laying block could do this in a few hours. I actually had a guy call me to offer to do it for $600 who’s been in the business for 15 years. He claimed he could lay 780 blocks in an 8 hour day. If that’s true, that’s a lot of block.

I have vertical rebar that I put in the wet concrete before it cured. I layed out some blocks dry today to make sure it all lined up square… it does. So, I’m off to the races tomorrow. I’ll post back soon to let you know how it goes. Hopefully it won’t be that difficult. I’ve watched a ton of youtube videos including one basement windows video and re-read my block section in my owner builder book. Until tomorrow.



Laying Concrete Block is VERY Time Consuming

Laying concrete block is a lot more time consuming than I thought. You have to get that first course down level and it’s a lot harder than the pros make it look. It is doable though, it just takes much longer.

I had a good rain come today, so yesterday and the day before I was able to do the first course and get some waterproofing down. I wanted to get it done and back-filled before the rain hit, but it just didn’t happen. I really wanted to give up and just hire someone, but an owner builder must push forward. Getting it done quickly is not what it’s all about, it’s about getting it done right the first time. Although I really want to get it done quickly, I have to concentrate on taking my time.

Concrete block should be spaced apart with 3/8″ gaps, so I bought a 3/8″ rod at the hardware store to space out my block before applying mortar to make it permanent. It seems to work really well. I saw online, there is a company that sells 3/8″ metal spacers to make sure your other courses are exact, but I think I’m going to just try to get it right with my trusty metal rod and a tape measure.

I was happy when I got all the way around to the first block I laid and they all lined up level. Second course and third course of block will go up next week. This weekend it’s storming, so I’m stuck inside with the kids.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment